NYU Langone/Hospital for Joint Diseases MSK Radiology Fellowship
Fellowship Director: Soterios Gyftopoulos, MD
Associate Fellowship Director: Gina Ciavarra, MD
The NYU/HJD MSK fellowship provides a great opportunity for fellows to get exposed to and learn the fundamentals of musculoskeletal radiology. Fellows who excel are successful in taking advantage of the wealth of resources available to them during their year of specialized training. They take an active role in their education and treat their daily work as an opportunity to learn. Fellows’ education is reinforced by the MSK faculty through a combination of daily side-by-side read out sessions, weekly case conferences and weekly didactic conferences.
We provide imaging services to the NYU Center for Musculoskeletal Care, Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD), New York University Langone Medical Center (NYULMC), and Bellevue Hospital Center, while providing specialized musculoskeletal teleradiology support for many radiology groups throughout the New York area.
Our MSK fellows typically rotate through one of three clinical rotations, one week at a time. Fellows are allotted one academic day per week, which can be used in a variety of different ways including work on current research projects, preparation of weekly internal and interdisciplinary conferences, and observing surgery under the guidance of our colleagues in the department of Orthopaedics.
Fellow responsibilities vary by location, and are summarized below:
Two fellows are assigned to preview daily cross-sectional cases and review them with assigned staff members. One fellow is stationed at the Hospital for Joint Diseases, while the second is located at the NYU Center for Musculoskeletal Care. Fellows are responsible for protocolling scheduled cases, providing consultation services for clinicians, and teaching residents and medical students along with attending staff.
CT, ultrasound and fluoro- guided interventional services are provided five days a week and include epidural spine injections, facet blocks, myelograms, lumbar punctures, discography, arthrography, percutaneous biopsies, radiofrequency ablation, and therapeutic injections. One fellow is assigned to this rotation per week and is responsible for preparing for and performing interventional procedures in conjunction with the assigned attending, while ensuring that workflow and patient throughput is maintained. The fellow is also responsible for fielding consultations for interventional services from other sections. As with all fellow training, responsibility and independence are incrementally increased as appropriate for their demonstrated level of ability as the year progresses.
One fellow is assigned to Bellevue per week, previewing all the X-ray and cross-sectional cases, and reading out with the assigned staff member. The majority of the fellow’s x-ray experience will take place here, interpreting cases from the various orthopedic and rheumatogic clinics as well as cases from the emergency room and inpatient services. The fellow is also responsible for fielding all consultations and performing the MSK related interventional procedures.
Fellows benefit from daily opportunities to learn in a conference environment. The following are mandatory conferences given every week that are usually scheduled from 730-830 a.m. and take place at the NYU Center for Musculoskeletal Care or NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases:
- Monday: Fellows' XR/MR didactic conference. One fellow is assigned per week to present unknown cases to their co-fellows and the rest of the section followed by short teaching presentations about each case.
- Tuesday: Introduction to MSK Imaging series. In the months of July and August, staff members give introductory didactic lectures to the fellows covering the basics of imaging of the major joints and spine. Starting in September, Dr. Ron Adler gives a series of didactic lectures and hands-on ultrasound sessions to the fellows covering the fundamentals of musculoskeletal ultrasound.
- Wednesday: Fellows’ Interesting XR/MR conference. One fellow is assigned per week to present unknown cases collected during the workweek to their co-fellows and the rest of the section followed by group discussion.
- Thursday: MSK/Orthopaedic didactics. Staff members from our section give hour-long didactic lectures covering a variety of topics in MSK imaging. Interspersed between the radiology themed didactic lectures, our colleagues from the department of Orthopaedics and Rheumatology as well as outside MSK faculty give a series of lectures covering topics in orthopaedics and rheumatology and how they apply to the musculoskeletal radiologist.
- Friday: MSK Research conference. This is a weekly conference covering an assortment of MSK related research topics, including Journal Club and ongoing sectional research.
The fellows will take call for one week at a time beginning on a Monday night and ending the following Monday morning. There is an attending on back-up call for the week available for consultation.
Each fellow is allotted 4 weeks of vacation time. Additional time for conference attendance may be granted for fellows who present their research.
For the 2016-2017 academic year,
- Please submit all application materials online [https://rfa.nyumc.org].
- Final review of applications will be completed and interviews will be sent out at the end of August
- Interviews will take place in September
- Positions offered: 5
- Any questions, please review the information in the “How to apply” section